Sunday, November 13, 2011

Beginning: "Where It Began" or "Who I Am"

Welcome and wonderful wishes!  I want to share my passion.  By sharing, I will not only enable others to feel the passion and learn, but will also enable myself to feel others passions and learn.  I have only been dancing for two years, but wish it was 32 years.  Dance has changed my life, and the way I look at life.  Dance has set me free of many insecurities I allowed others to "push" upon me through the years, and opened my world.  Dance has inspired creativity in my life, and renewed "passion" as my way of life.

Let me preface here, I knew C&W 2-step and waltz.  What "Texas cowgirl" does not! But only what I picked up from friends and a 6-week course back in 2001.  I knew little more than basic steps.  If I danced with a good lead, I could follow, and possibly stumble through a few turns and twirls.  I had even taught basic steps at the Mineral Wells country club back in the 70's.  I charged $5.00 a person for a 30-minute lesson for extra spending money while attending college.  But enough of the old past.

My sister was/is the girlie girl. Her clothing, hair and make-up always perfect.  There was nothing artsy and creative that was beyond her.  Me, not so much.  I have always been the competitive tomboy, never the girlie girl.  I was never comfortable in a dress, nor really never worried about how I looked.  I could make bows, as long as they were only the bow on a tennis shoe!

I chanced upon dance after having my heart broken, once again, at the age of 50.  He wanted to learn to C&W, but would not.  Like so many people, his fear of not being good enough kept him from following what could have been his passion.  He always accused me of making him feel and look inadequate because I was so much better at the "manly" things than he was.  I knew his feeling hinged solely upon what he thought of himself and allowed himself to feel.  Making someone to feel inadequate or inferior is quite the opposite of my life endeavors.  So two days after he broke off our relationship, I entered a dance studio.

My goal was to take a few introductory lessons in C&W two-step and waltz, brush up a bit on my seemingly minor dance skills and be on my way.  I was so very lucky that there was no instructor that taught C&W in this particular studio.  Like so many studios, they had their own agenda to attempt to hook me.

For my introductory package, they paired me with a wonderful young instructor whom I will only refer to as LM.  He was only 21, a charming, 6'5" "kid."  LM had only been an instructor for one year and still very "green" in his career.  He was told I use to be a dance instructor, and that he had his work cut out for him.  Such a TALL TALE!  It was not enough that we had such a large age difference.  I was his first student over the age of 18!  Of all this, I was totally unaware.  I do not know who was more intimidated by who.  Thankfully, those intimidations did not last long at all.

Thus began a new relationship; that of lifelong friends and instructor/student.  While LM was teaching me dance, as was his profession, he would also teach me a renewed and youthful outlook on life, as was his age and gift.  Unknowingly, I would be teaching life lessons, as was my age and gift.  My method of teaching you ask?  Simply by diving in to my newfound love and passion for dance, by putting past hurts behind me, becoming myself once again, being honest and open and sharing; sharing who I was, where I have been, what I have learned, and my dreams of where I now knew I wanted go in the remainder of my life.

Well, this is the start.  I hope you stay connected! To learn more about me, about life, and most important, DANCE, and how it is all connected!

No comments:

Post a Comment